By-Laws relating to the waterways
Abbreviated Summary of Kouga Municipality by-law 284-2006 – By-Laws-relating-to-the-canals-and-river
Gazette No 4486 – DOWNLOAD
Canal wall and jetty regulations
ST FRANCIS BAY MUNICIPALITY
JETTIES, GAZEBOS & CANAL BANK PROTECTION
GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS IN TERMS OF THE WATERWAYS BY-LAW (PN339 OF 1987) AS AMENDED
All words or phrases in these conditions, unless inconsistent with the content will have the same meaning as defined in the By-law relating to the control and use of the Waterways and their Banks in the local area of St Francis Bay promulgated under PN339 of 1987.
2. GENERAL CONDITIONS
- 2.1 For the better protection of the waterways the Council may require any riparian owner to ensure the stability of the bank forming the waterways frontage of his property by methods prescribed by or acceptable to the Council.
- 2.2 Where the riparian owner’s boundary and the adjacent banks of the waterways do not exactly coincide, the riparian owner shall be responsible for the protection of that portion of the bank bounded by the actual side boundaries of his property or by their projection to meet the waterway.
- 2.3 No person shall, without the prior written approval of the Council cause of permit any dredging operations or earthworks designed to alter the extent of the waterways.
- 2.4 No canal bank may be higher that 0,5 metre above the high water mark after having been stabilised, at which level it must be terraced, if necessary, to a minimum width of one metre.
- 2.5 No sand or surplus/waste material may be deposited in the canal during the stabilisation of the canal walls or terracing of adjoining land. Any such material unavoidably deposited in the canal must be removed by the contractor.3. BUILDING PLANS
- 3.1 The conditions applicable to the National Building Regulations will apply to any form of construction or alteration or containment of any structure or portion of or on any part of the canal embankment and canal.
- 3.2 No person shall without prior approval of a building plan on Council’s approval in writing effect or cause any structure to be erected or take measures or cause measures to be taken for the stabilisation of any canal bank.
- 3.2.1 Any person not complying with condition 3.2 shall be guilty of an offence.3.3 Building plans will be valid for a period of 12 months calculated from date of approval.