certificate of fitness
certificate of competency
St Francis Bay Riparian HOA
Certificates required on the Canals and Kromme River
The following certificates are required for the St Francis Bay Canals and Kromme River
Certificate of Fitness
For all boats with an engine capacity over 15hp and all Jet Skis (PWC) a Certificate of Fitness (COF) issued by SADSAA is required.
Visit the SAMSA web site (South African Maritime Safety Authority) for more information on the requirements for a COF.
Contact details for organisations that offer inspection and testing services for COF’s can be obtained from the Canal Harbour Office.
Certificate of Competency
A Certificate of Competency (COC) issued by SAMSA is required for operators of all boats with an engine capacity over 15hp and all Jet Skis.
Visit the SAMSA web site (South African Maritime Safety Authority) for more information on the requirements for COC’s
Contact details for organisations that offer training and testing services for COC’s can be obtained from the Canal Harbour Office.
Motor driven boats, Jet Skis and other boats over 4 metres must be registered with the Kouga Municipality and display one Canal and one Kromme River (if applicable) registration number on each side of the boat or Jet Ski where they will be visible even at wake speeds.
- For boats with an engine capacity over 15hp a valid COF must be presented to register.
- Jet Skis may only register for the St Francis Bay canals.
- Annual Registrations are valid from the 1st July to the 30th June of the following year and must be renewed each year from the 1st July.
- Temporary registration numbers are available for the canals for periods of one to seven days.
- Canal and Kromme River registrations are available from the Canal Harbour Office in La Digue Place, St Francis Bay.
- Office Hours are from 8am to 4pm Tuesday to Saturday
- Payment may be made by MasterCard, Visa or EFT